Our Annual General Meeting was held on Monday November 12th, with a healthy turnout of members. We reflected on the 2018 season, reviewed the club’s financial statements, thanked many of our volunteers for their contribution, and elected a new Committee for 2019.
On field, 2018 was one of the club’s most successful seasons. We have been fortunate to bring together a great team of selfless coaches who are focused on player development through positive interaction. We welcomed the eminently qualified Brendan Scott (Colts) and Dave Miller (U14B) back to the club, as well as a number of new coaches in younger age groups. Every team was competitive, and highlighting the strength of our football program, of the 13 teams that were eligible for Finals, 10 qualified – Youth Girls, Colts 1 & 2, U15B, U14B, U14G, U13B, U12W, U12G and U11B. This made for an extremely busy August, with 9 teams progressing to a Prelim or Grand Final after the first week (U13B narrowly lost their First Semi). Despite very competitive efforts our Colts teams, U12G (2017 Premiers) and U12W were knocked out in their Prelims, leaving us with 5 teams to support on the first Sunday in September.
- Andrew Wyver’s U11B prevailed in a nail biter in the early game at Gordon Barnard, winning by a solitary point over Ivanhoe to start the day off in great style.
- Dave Miller’s U14B started well at Bulleen Park, and led at half time, but nemesis Heidelberg proved too strong in the second half. Our exceptional team held top spot all season in the toughest competition – U14 Gold.
- Aaron Martini’s U14G asserted their dominance from the start, holding opponent Ashburton scoreless for much of the game, to bring home our 2nd premiership for 2018.
- Andrew White’s Youth Girls were gallant at Beverley Rd Oval but couldn’t prevent Bulleen-Temp from reversing the result of the 2nd Semi-Final.
- Mark Askew’s U15B weren’t expecting to beat undefeated Ivanhoe. In blustery conditions at Gordon Barnard accuracy up forward was the difference, and a 3rd premiership was secured.
Off field there were a number of significant achievements in 2018.
- Delivery of an operating surplus to eliminate debts relating to the installation of our scoreboard
- Completion of ‘female friendly’ upgrade to changeroom facilities at Surrey Park
- Increased alignment with Surrey Park FC – full transfer of Bar operations and continued involvement of past players in support roles with Colts & U15B (Harry L, Paul C, James M and Noah B)
- Enhanced working relationship with Emmaus-St Leos to streamline game-day operations at Bennettswood
- Co-ordination of social calendar with effective social nights and memorable marquee events
- Qualified trainer(s) in every team, ensuring appropriate care whether playing Home or Away
- Creation of the Conduct Officer role to liaise with the YJFL and member clubs as required
And as we look to 2019, we are excited to report that following consultation with stakeholders over a number of years we expect to see lighting installed on Surrey Park’s top oval mid-season, which greatly enhances our flexibility around training times.
Our sponsors stood by us again in 2018, funding the renewal of both equipment and playing apparel. We thank Epworth Eastern, Bendigo Bank, Rolf’s Pies, Sportsafe and Lindella’s for their financial support, as well as Bread Street and S&S Gourmet Meats for their ongoing contribution to our canteen and social events. Please consider supporting any and all of our amazing sponsors when the opportunity arises.
We are buoyed by a resurgent Surrey Park Auskick, and thank Ben Beard and his team of co-ordinators for their collective efforts to create a fun learning environment that has attracted many new families to our precinct. We look forward to watching these players for many years to come, and anticipate the contribution from the parent group that will play their role in our continued push to be the pre-eminent junior football club in Melbourne’s South-East.
Finally, we recognize the contribution of those whose time on Committee has come to an end and thank them for their years of service:
- Simon Woodfull – President (2012/13) Vice-President (2014-2018)
- Terry Abel – Treasurer (2017/18)
- Andrew Williams – Grounds (2010-2018)
- Geoff Simmons – Equipment (2012-2016) General (2010/11; 2017/18)